When and Where
The purpose of the Sport North Scholarship is to encourage academic success for NWT students that are engaged in sport activities. Preference will be given, but not limited, to students in the field of Kinesiology, Physical Education, Sport Administration, Recreation or Education (majoring in Physical Education). Dedication to sport and academic excellence are taken into consideration in determining scholarship recipients.
The Scholarship Committee will consist of 3 members representing Territorial Sport Organizations (where possible). The Committee will meet as required, following the August 15th deadline, to review the applications and select the Scholarship recipients.
- $1,500 scholarships are available to applicants in sport related studies.
- $1,000 scholarships to applicants in other studies.
- $1,500 for the Scott McAdam Memorial Scholarship
The scholarship recipients will be chosen from all applications received on or before the specified deadline date.
Deadline to apply - August 15, 2018 at noon.
The selection will be based on:
- Recipients meeting eligibility requirements and submitting all of the required documentation;
- Contribution to sport (coach, official, organizer);
- Academic grades;
- Letters of support and/or reference.
The selection of scholarship recipients is the decision of the Scholarship Committee. The decisions made by this Committee will be final.
To be eligible for consideration for a Sport North Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must have lived in the NWT for a minimum of three years and successfully completed at least one full year of schooling in the NWT OR be a mature student with a five year residency who has shown commitment to the development of sport.
- Specific to the Scott McAdam Scholarship: must have lived in the NWT for a minimum of seven years and completed at least three full years of schooling in the NWT. Preference will be given, but not limited, to applicants from the Mackenzie Region (first) and the Beaufort Delta Region (second).
- Must be a non-smoker.
- Has shown a commitment to the development of sport.
- Is currently or has been a member of a Territorial Sport Organization in the past 5 years.
- Must have successfully completed one year of post secondary education and will be continuing in a program at a recognized University or Community College. Preference will be given, but not limited, to students in the field of;
- Physical Education
- Sport Administration
- Education (majoring in Physical Education)
A candidate is only eligible to receive the scholarship once. Those qualified candidates not receiving scholarships may reapply the following year. The Committee reserves the right not to award all available scholarships in one year.