Only youth 18 years and younger will be considered for financial support.
- A participant may not receive more than $300 in a calendar year.
- The child's family must meet the income requirements for the KidSport program.
- Activities eligible for funding are sport registration fees, personal sports equipment and travel to sport camps/clinics. If applying for registration fees, a copy of the completed sport registration form must be submitted with the application form.
- Activities NOT eligible for funding are travel to competitions.
- If someone applies for personal sports equipment only, they MUST submit proof that they are registered for that sport in their community.
- Applications MUST be supported by an adult endorser; someone other than the parent. The endorser acts as an objective third party who is familiar with the athlete's family and is in a professional position to assess the social and economic barriers facing the family (i.e. member of the clergy, law enforcement officer, principal or vice-principal, teacher, counselor, family services or social worker).
- Applications should be submitted 30 days prior to the start date of the activity.
- Applications are processed throughout the year on a first come, first serve basis.
- Applications are reviewed by a volunteer committee. Once the decision has been made, a letter of notification will be sent to the parent. If approved, a copy of the letter will also be sent to the sport organization, school or hamlet office specified on the application.
- Funds will be issued directly to the sport organization specified on the application. If the funds are approved for personal sports equipment, a voucher will be issued for the approved amount to be used at either Overlander Sports or Canadian Tire. Alternate arrangements may also be made for other sporting goods stores in the NWT.
- Parents may be required to submit their Notice of Assessment (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) to confirm their annual income.
- If you are a foster parent, please provide proof of foster parent status.
- If an athlete decides to withdraw from a sport activity, the parent or guardian must notify KidSport NWT.